Editors of The Express and The Sun join MPs and Peers at our Official Launch!
We are delighted to announce that the MCB’s Centre for Media Monitoring launched officially in Parliament to a packed room, with the publication of our first report on the State of the Media Reporting on Islam & Muslims.
This report looked at over 10k articles and nearly 2k media clips about Muslims / Islam, and analysed them based on a methodology from one of the leading experts in the field, Paul Baker.
– 59% of all articles analysed associated Muslims with negative behaviour
– Over a third misrepresented or generalised about Muslims
– In right wing press / religious publications, 37% rated “very biased”
– Broadcast was generally less biased than print media
– Regional news fared better than national news
At the launch, our founder Miqdaad Versi spoke about how this project has come a long way, from his initial complaints focussing on accuracy, to a fully fledged project looking at media bias in an academically rigorous way. We have 5 people working on this project, and the biggest tabloids (Sun, Mail, Express) are all engaging at the Managing Editor / Editor-in-Chief level!
This is only the start of our journey of constructive engagement, but already we are seeing media practitioners actively coming to us to seek our input!
Let’s hope we see even further impact in the year ahead.
Thank you to all those who made it happen!