The Centre for Media Monitoring has submitted written evidence to the Lords Select Committee on The Future of Journalism
An outline of our evidence is as follows:
- We respond to the following two questions:
– Why has trust in journalists declined? How could it be improved?
– Why is the journalism profession not more representative of the population?
- The first section on trust will address why there is mistrust of the profession specifically by Muslims:
– Journalism & Muslims
– Consequences of Irresponsible Journalism
– Language & Terminology
– Opinion & Comment Journalism
- The second section on why the profession is not representative, we will address the following issues:
– Unconscious selection bias
– Correcting Misunderstandings